Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Overview on Reiki

I am a Reiki practitioner.  I love it.  I sometimes have a hard time explaining it to people who aren't familiar with what it is.  It's a (originally) Japanese healing modality.  It works with energy.  Unlike other energy work (which, to be honest, I'm not very familiar with) it doesn't drain the practitioner's prana (Sanskrit for vital life), or energy.  It is not a religion, and does not require a religion. 

Reiki is a a form of spiritual healing that helps to harmonize the body, mind and spirit.  It strengthens the immune system, relieves pain, clears toxins (you may pee a lot after a treatment), reduces stress, promotes personal awareness and creativity, and aids meditation and positive thinking.  All that holistically.  For those of you thinking yeah, right, there are studies.  A few hospitals near me have Reiki programs for their oncology patients.  Reiki yields a higher hematocrit and hemoglobin levels (having to do with red blood cells) in patients.  There was a study done where the experimental group received Reiki training, and the control group received no training. Those who didn't not receive Reiki training in one differences.  My friend who is a nurse said that one doesn't see changes like those in the study without the aid of medication.   I've seen it work first hand.  Some of the results seemingly amazing.

Reiki is by no means new age, it just became more popular in the US over the last decades.  I can understand why some people think it's for ladies with too many cats and very nearly off their rockers'.  I've met those women, too.  I think they are more vocal about it, or more noticeable, and that's where some people make their judgments from.  But remember, not every democrat is as obnoxious as Michael Moore. He makes some good points, but then proceeds to go a little over the top.

What I don't like is the schools that just give the days lesson and the certification.  The woman who has attuned me has said she will ask a few questions and suggest that maybe one isn't ready for the master-teacher certification.  I prefer it that way.  She won't just take the money and fully certify someone who isn't certified.  And there are different lineages.  I've met people who will not put their hands on the recipient.


Since I have started my Reiki training I have become a happier person.  I don't practice as often as I ought to, but any amount is beneficial.  The thing that started this post for me was the intention to relate the

Gokai from Mikao Usui, or 5 Reiki principles.


Just for today,
       do not be angry,
Do not worry,
       And be filled with gratitude,
Devote yourself to work,
      And be kind to people.


                                          Another version:

Just for today
    Do not anger
    Do not worry
    Be humble
    Be honest in your work
Be compassionate to yourself and others

No comments:

Post a Comment