Sunday, September 12, 2010

I have learned.

I StumbledUpon this.

words to live by: i have learned

"I Have Learned"

Kathy Kane Henson

 


I don't take credit for these bits of wisdom, I added my own comments in this lilac color.  I plan on sharing things I find to be helpful to keep me mindful, and to see the world for how it really is.  I picked my favorites, full link at the bottom.  Some I may write down and post on a wall, mirror, in my car or drawer to remind myself.  If I really need to work on something, or it strikes me particularly I put it on my nightstand so I see it first thing and last thing every day. 



I've learned 
that sometimes when I'm angry, 
I have the right to be angry,
but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.



One thing that I only learned recently was that it's okay to be angry sometimes. I have a right to be angry! that was very enlightening for me. There are plenty of times I have felt guilty for being angry, or buried it only to have it blow up later. There are also times I direct my anger wrongly, and that's not fair. Especially because it usually would be taken out on the people I care about the most.




I've learned 
that we are responsible for what we do, 
no matter how we feel.





I've learned 
that no matter how much I care, 
 some people just don't care back.




So why waste my time and energy where it's not welcomed or wanted? I still feel a twinge, but it has helped me let a lot of things go.






I've learned 
that it's not what you have in your life 
 but who you have in your life that counts. 

Couldn't be more true.



I've learned 
that you shouldn't compare yourself 
 to the best others can do, but to the best you can do. 


Easier said than done...





I've learned 
that it's not what happens to people that's important. 
 It's what they do about it.
I've learned 
that it's taking me a long time 
 to become the person I want to be.



I've learned 
that it's a lot easier to react 
 than it is to think.


I understand this... but am no where close to thinking before I react in a heated moment.



I've learned 
that it isn't always enough 
to be forgiven by others.
Sometimes you have to learn 
to forgive yourself.
I think that you need to be able to forgive yourself.  Otherwise a person can't forgive others as easily.


I've learned 
that our background and circumstances
may have influenced who we are,
but we are responsible for who we become.

If a child is beaten and grows up in horrible circumstances it is understandable if they grow up angry, but not excusable.  Especially if they are equally as horrible to their children.  At some point we become responsible for our own actions.

I've learned 
that it's hard to determine
where to draw the line
between being nice and
not hurting people's feelings
and standing up for what you believe.





No comments:

Post a Comment